Alleged school shooter to be tried as adult

The 15-year-old boy accused of fatally shooting a Mount Tabor High School student this month in Winston-Salem has been indicted and will be tried as an adult after a court hearing Thursday morning.Maurice Evans Jr. is accused of murder in the shooting death of 15-year-old William Chavis Raynard Miller Jr. at his high school, located on Petree Road just after noon on Sept. 1.Miller was taken to a local hospital, where he died.Evans appeared in juvenile court Thursday morning. His attorney asked the judge he be released to his parents, saying Evans was not a flight risk and that his family was worried about him. The judge denied the request, keeping him in custody without bond. A grand jury indicted Evans. He is facing one murder charge. The degree of that charge has not been determined. Attorney J.D. Byers is representing Evans and said he is eager to move the case forward and set a trial date. Forsyth County District Attorney Jim O’Neill said he understood the immense public interest in the case but was also limited in what he could say until the case entered Superior Court. He stressed guns on school campuses will not be tolerated and anyone charged with doing so will be prosecuted. After the shooting on Sept. 1, police blocked roads to the school, which has an enrollment of more than 1,500 students, and numerous emergency vehicles were on the scene. Lockdowns at Mount Tabor and nearby schools lasted throughout the afternoon. Evans was apprehended a little after 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Waughtown community. Winston-Salem police Chief Catrina Thompson, fighting back tears, told a news conference that Mount Tabor High School went into immediate lockdown as emergency responders, sheriff’s deputies and police officers arrived to search for the suspect.Evans’ name was withheld from being publicly released for several weeks because the case was in juvenile court. Byers said the charges against his client are “very troubling” to his client’s family.“They’re a very tight-knit family and they care very, very much about my client,” Byers said following the hearing last week. “They’ve been constantly in contact and very involved in his defense.”In court last week, Byers also asked the judge for the teenager to be released to the custody of his parents, who both were present. The prosecution asked that he remain in custody, saying the individual and the community would be in danger should he be released.The prosecution said a “chilling” video pertaining to the Sept. 1 shooting contributed to the team’s decision to ask the judge that the suspect remains in custody. The judge ordered the teen remain in custody. The case is expected to be in superior court as soon as next week.

The 15-year-old boy accused of fatally shooting a Mount Tabor High School student this month in Winston-Salem has been indicted and will be tried as an adult after a court hearing Thursday morning.

Maurice Evans Jr. is accused of murder in the shooting death of 15-year-old William Chavis Raynard Miller Jr. at his high school, located on Petree Road just after noon on Sept. 1.

Advertisement

Miller was taken to a local hospital, where he died.

Evans appeared in juvenile court Thursday morning. His attorney asked the judge he be released to his parents, saying Evans was not a flight risk and that his family was worried about him.

The judge denied the request, keeping him in custody without bond.

A grand jury indicted Evans. He is facing one murder charge. The degree of that charge has not been determined.

Attorney J.D. Byers is representing Evans and said he is eager to move the case forward and set a trial date.

Forsyth County District Attorney Jim O’Neill said he understood the immense public interest in the case but was also limited in what he could say until the case entered Superior Court. He stressed guns on school campuses will not be tolerated and anyone charged with doing so will be prosecuted.

After the shooting on Sept. 1, police blocked roads to the school, which has an enrollment of more than 1,500 students, and numerous emergency vehicles were on the scene.

Lockdowns at Mount Tabor and nearby schools lasted throughout the afternoon.

Evans was apprehended a little after 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Waughtown community.

Winston-Salem police Chief Catrina Thompson, fighting back tears, told a news conference that Mount Tabor High School went into immediate lockdown as emergency responders, sheriff’s deputies and police officers arrived to search for the suspect.

Evans’ name was withheld from being publicly released for several weeks because the case was in juvenile court.

Byers said the charges against his client are “very troubling” to his client’s family.

“They’re a very tight-knit family and they care very, very much about my client,” Byers said following the hearing last week. “They’ve been constantly in contact and very involved in his defense.”

In court last week, Byers also asked the judge for the teenager to be released to the custody of his parents, who both were present. The prosecution asked that he remain in custody, saying the individual and the community would be in danger should he be released.

The prosecution said a “chilling” video pertaining to the Sept. 1 shooting contributed to the team’s decision to ask the judge that the suspect remains in custody.

The judge ordered the teen remain in custody. The case is expected to be in superior court as soon as next week.

View original article here Source