14-year-old girl charged with murder of 73-year-old man; 2nd teen charged in connection with brutal traffic cone beating

A 14-year-old girl has been charged with third-degree murder in connection with last month’s brutal traffic cone beating of a 73-year-old man in Philadelphia, WCAU-TV reported.

The girl is the second teenager charged with murder in this case; a 14-year-old boy also was charged with murder after surrendering to police earlier this week. The girl turned herself in around 11 a.m. Wednesday, WCAU added.

The station said both the boy and girl are being charged as adults.

What’s the background?

Teenagers were caught on video beating James Lambert with a traffic cone on a north Philadelphia street just after 2:30 a.m. June 24; he died the following day, WCAU-TV reported in a separate story.

Sources told the station that Lambert was walking past a basketball court when he asked the teens why they were out so late.

The first attacker is seen in the clip striking Lambert — who’s blurred in the video — with a traffic cone as the victim tries to cross the street and get away from the group. After Lambert lands on the sidewalk, another teen appears to use a cellphone to take a photo or video of Lambert. A third teen is seen picking up the same traffic cone and throwing it at the victim.

“The teens struck the victim several times with objects, knocking the victim to the ground causing injuries to his head,” police said in a news blotter. “The victim was transported to the hospital where he died of his injuries the following day.”

The video also shows the suspects leaving the scene — and two of them appear to be smiling:

Image source: Philadelphia police

The teens apparently gathered after the attack, and one was seen acting out what appeared to be a “stumbling person,” the station said.

“It’s so evil; how could you do that to a person?” Elsie Stephens, the victim’s older sister told WCAU soon after the video of the attack on Lambert was released, adding, “You have a mother and a father; how could you just beat a man until you take off half of his skull?”

Lawyer sheds more light

Two other youths surrendered to police as well: The 10-year-old brother of the 14-year-old boy charged with murder as well as a 13-year-old girl. Both of them have been released.

Donte Mills — the attorney for the 13-year-old girl — told WCAU on video that it was suggested that the group of teens go over to Lambert and “mess with him a little bit.”

But Mills said not only did his client try to stop the group from approaching Lambert, but also that she tried to prevent the traffic cone attack on him, called 911 after fell to the ground, and stayed with him until emergency personnel arrived.

Anything else?

The following are additional images from the police department’s video:

Image source: Philadelphia police

Image source: Philadelphia police

Police said if you spot the teens from the video or accompanying images, call 911 immediately, WCAU reported. Those with information about the attack can submit anonymous tips by phone or text to 215-686-(8477) or online, the station added.

View original article here Source