SPONSORED an hour ago 16-year-old boy shot and killed at Millennium Park, Chicago police declare riot 16-year-old Seandell Holliday was shot during a…

The Chicago Police Department were called in to clear Millennium Park, after a 16-year-old boy was killed after being shot in the chest at approximately 7:30 pm on Saturday. Local news reported “Police said hundreds of young people were at Millennium Park Saturday night and began flooding surrounding streets. Officers were called in to clear the park.”

According to officials, the 16-year-old was shot during a gathering inside the park and was taken to Lurie Children’s Hospital in critical condition, but later died from his injuries. The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the victim as Seandell Holliday.

“Twenty six children and four adults were arrested in connection with the incident, Chicago police said. There were five gun arrests and seven guns recovered. Two officers were also injured,” according to local reports.

According to officials, it is now believed that three people were shot and the shooter is still believed be at large, but this has yet to be confirmed by police.

Large groups of teens reportedly remained in the Loop after the shooting on Saturday night. NBC  5 reported that bus lines had to alter service due to the crowds. According to ABC 7, hundreds of teens at Millennium Park began flooding surrounding streets and officers were called in to clear the park.

According to local reports, police officers and locals were pelted with items by rioters at the scene. Crowds could be seen on video throwing items including chairs at passing civilian vehicles.

In response to the shooting, Mayor Lori Lightfoot issued a statement:

“Earlier this evening, a 16-year-old was tragically killed near Millennium Park. This senseless loss of life is utterly unacceptable. Tonight, a mother is grief-stricken, mourning the loss of her child and searching for answers. My heart is breaking for the mother as she grieves this unspeakable loss.”

“Of course, young people are welcome everywhere in our city, but community norms require respect for each other, people’s property, and the sanctity of life. Anything less simply will not be tolerated. We must also have zero tolerance for young people carrying firearms or settling petty disputes with acts of violence. We all must condemn this behavior in the strongest terms possible and continue to take action against anyone who violates these basic community norms. And I continue to call upon parents and guardians to step up, to ensure that your children understand basic values of respect, and that you take responsibility for knowing at all times where your children are and who they are with.”

“We will be taking additional actions to stop this lawlessness and will share details as soon as possible on what additional measures we will be taking to help prevent events like this from happening in the future.”

View original article here Source